Let’s face it, we all know that Valentine’s Day really extends into Valentine’s Weekend. And, for all intensive purposes of this post, I had a hott dinner date with my DVR filled with Modern Family and the Mindy Project! Being Valentine’s weekend and all, I was really in the mood for something decadent and comforting…something like baked mac and cheese?? (Insert mischievous face here). However, the leftover cauliflower in the fridge got the best of me. And so, since I’m still trying to stick with this healthy cooking challenge, I attempted to make a healthy baked cauliflower mac and cheese. And boy, did it hit the spot…or should I say heart? 😉
I made this in an individual baking dish and it turned out perfectly. I’m proud to say the picture (and recipe) is actually mine this time! 🙂 This is so simple and easy to make, it’s going to be addicting. Thankfully, you can indulge in this dish guilt-free!
Single Serve Baked Cauliflower Mac-and-Cheese
Disclaimer: the listed ingredient measurements are approximate, because I just threw together what I had. Also, this recipe makes quite a bit. I couldn’t finish all of it, even though I wanted to!
- 1.5 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup shredded fat free cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup organic skim milk
- 2 strips organic reduced fat turkey bacon
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp flour
- Dash of ground mustard (or dijon mustard)
- Dash of nutmeg
- Salt/pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a pot, bring water to a boil. Add chopped cauliflower and cook for 10-15 minutes until cauliflower is soft.
2. While cauliflower is cooking, in a separate skillet, cook the two strips of turkey bacon over medium heat. Remove cooked bacon from the skillet and set aside to cool. When the bacon is cooled, chop it into tiny pieces.
3. In the same skillet that the bacon was cooked, heat the milk over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the butter and let it melt, constantly mixing. Add the dashes of nutmeg and ground mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste! Finally, mix in the flour and stir for a few minutes until the sauce thickens. Add the cheese to the sauce and let it melt until is forms a thick gooey deliciousness (you’ll know what I mean)!
4. Drain cauliflower and return to pot. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and mix to combine. Stir in bacon bits, and mix everything together breaking up cauliflower into bite sized chunks. I like to give it a quick taste here to make sure everything is yummyyy.
5. Pour mixture into a single serve oven proof dish. Sprinkle the top with cheese and bake at 350°F for 7-12 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
For a total of 355 calories, there is no way you can’t enjoy this dish! Seriously, your tummy is going to be so happy. Wishing everyone a Happy Healthy Valentine’s Weekend! ❤
How did you spend your Valentine’s Day/Weekend? Did anyone try out some new recipes with their significant other? Share your adventures in the comments below 🙂